Welcome toShepHerd Public Schools
Through a safe and caring learning environment Shepherd Public Schools is committed to preparing our students for success in a changing world. Student learning is our top priority. It is our responsibility to ensure each student reaches his or her fullest potential.
|‹ March 2018 ›|
Bluejay Update Season 1
Community School Safety Update
When: Tuesday, March 13, 2018
Where: Shepherd High School Auditorium
Time: 7:00 pm
What: Shepherd Public Schools and The Shepherd Police Department would like to update the community on school safety. The update will be followed by a question and answer session
The Shepherd Public Schools Board of Education has accepted the retirement notice of our Superintendent Claire Bunker effective June 30, 2018. We have retained the services of the Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB) to facilitate our search for our next superintendent. We are seeking community input on what the desired characteristics of our future school leader should be.
Mr. Charles Dumas, Executive Search Consultant with MASB hosted a community forum on Monday, February 5, 2018 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Maple Leaf Room to gather information about our school district and seek input from community members on what you want to see in our next superintendent.
Thank you for your submited comments and thoughts through the survey monkey survey. Your feedback has been compiled and can be found here:
How the decision is made to cancel or delay school, please see below the procedures followed.
- Steve Sura, Transportation Director, is up at 4:00 am to check the weather and possible issues for the day.
- If there is a possibility we need to cancel or delay:
- The process begins with people checking roads around the district.
- Steve talks to other transportation directors, road commission, and law enforcement.
- Superintendent talks to other area Superintendents.
- Decision is based on current conditions and predicted conditions.
- Conditions include snowfall amounts, visibility (fog or blowing snow), drifted roads, icy roads, and temperature*.
- If the actual temperature or wind chill is below -20 we cancel.
-Temperature is taken into consideration because of frostbite potential of students waiting for buses and walking to school.
- Student safety is always first and foremost in my mind. It is one of the toughest decisions to make as a superintendent.
School of Choice
Second School of Choice Window
Applications for enrollment are now available for nonresident students residing within the Gratiot Isabella Regional Education Service District and nonresident students residing within a contiguous Intermediate School District of Shepherd Public Schools.
Shepherd Public Schools are taking applications for the second school of choice window. Applications will be accepted between November 8, 2017 and November 22, 2017 for the following grades:
K - 5th grades - Shepherd El and Winn El (Winn Kindergarten has 0 openings)
6th – 8th grades - Shepherd Middle School (6th grade has 0 openings)
9th – 12th grades - Shepherd High School
7th – 12th grades - Odyssey Alternative Education.
Schools of Choice Steps:
1) Contact Peggy Trgina at Central Office for an application. 258 W. Wright Ave. 989-828-5520
2) If a student is new to the district, the parent must set up a meeting with the building principal or representative
3) Return application to Central Office
Shepherd Public Schools will not provide transportation. Shepherd Public Schools reserves the right to decline admission to students who have been suspended or expelled from another school district. Agreements for special education students who reside outside the GIRESD must be obtained prior to attending Shepherd Public Schools.
In the event that you are having difficulty accessing information on our website relating to District programs, services or activities, please contact Jason R Davis e-mail or at 989-828-5998.
Annual Education Reports
|Education Report Cover Letters||Education Reports|
|Shepherd Public Schools District Report
Shepherd Elementary Report
Winn Elementary Report
Shepherd Middle School Report
Shepherd High School Report
Odyssey Middle/High School Report